Thursday, May 29, 2008

Abbey's First Hot Air Balloon Ride

On Mother's Day weekend we go out to look at the balloons and pray to snag a ride. Jeremey rode first, then I got a chance. Luke, our pilot and I were discussing what was the age for riders. He said he likes them to be at least 10 so that if they have a hard landing they can handle it better. I thought to myself, boy Abbey will have to wait 3 more years before she gets to go up. The next thing I know, we are landing to switch riders again and Abbey is trailing Jeremey very closely as he gets back in the balloon. I tell her to get back and he says, oh she is going up. I quickly shoot a glance to Luke and he says that it is ok with him. So I hop out, and Abbey and Jeremey hop in. Quick little prayer is said to God above to keep her safe and up they go. This is the 3rd year our immediate family has flown with Luke, but he has been doing it for a very long time. I trust him wholeheartedly. He is an awesome pilot. www.freedomflight.org
Luke, Jeremey and Abbey ready to go up up and away.
Here they are getting low enough to touch the wheat.


Abbey after they got back to the airport. I asked how her ride was...AWESOME! She said.


The traditional champagne toast and history lesson about how ballooning first started and why pilots are called pilots! Then the first time riders get to drink champange. Abbey DOES NOT like champagne. She was also presented a certificate and special POW/MIA ballooning pin.


Our pilot Luke and Abbey after the ceremony.

No comments: